Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Kongou Dess, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Official Fan Fiction Contest
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
posted 06-16-06 01:11 AM EDT (US)   

Contest Winners

The contest is now over. Thanks to all participants!

Click Here to Download All Entries!

Theme: 12.88
Plot: 11.5
Characterization: 10.88
Setting: 9
Writing Talent: 13.88
Originality/Creativity: 13.88
Overall: 71.25

Melkor1, Novel, 100 - First Place Novel Winner
Boba Fettucini, Novel, 72 - Second Place Novel Winner
Ninja Jedi, Novel, 49
kypjargon, Novel, 47

Xaph, Vignette, 91 - First Place Vignette Winner
Friend of Old, Vignette, 79 - Second Place Vignette Winner
Leon Kennedy, Vignette, 78
BriJr, Novel, 55

Congratulations to all the winners!

Original Message

Greetings to the Star Wars Universe community!

The staff, with considerable, notable help from a forummer who wishes not to be mentioned, have a challenge for you. For those of you familiar with the Scenario Design and Modpack Design contest, you might be interested to know that we will be holding a similar contest here.

The contest will accept entries of fan fiction produced by you, the community. There will be two categories (if enough members are interested) and there will be a prize for the winner of each.

The staff will determine the outstanding entries and decide the winners of each category. There are several conditions which you are required to follow in order to participate in this exciting contest. These rules are not meant to be overly restrictive, but they are meant to ensure that you have the best chance of winning the contest possible.

Rules for both categories:

• You may only enter in one of the categories.
  • The narrative must be in English. Characters speaking in other languages are acceptable, but please note that it may reflect poorly on your submission if the dialogue cannot be determined by our judges.
  • The work must be within the Star Wars Universe. This means that it must based on the movies created by George Lucas. No cross-overs, please.
  • The work must be original and it must be created by you. By original, we mean the work must be an idea that you have formulated within the bounds of the Star Wars Universe. In example, a work that details the adventures of Muke, Don and Leela destroying the Death Bar will not be accepted as "original." This also means that re-writing an Expanded Universe novel will also not be accepted. Additionally, the work must be written by you - not a friend or anyone else.
  • As long as you follow the rule above, the work you write does not have to be specifically created for this contest. It could be something that you wrote for another Fan Fiction contest, or something that you posted in a Role-Playing Game.
  • Works should be submitted to the moderators listed at the bottom of this post. Works must be single-spaced and must contain no whitespace between paragraphs. Works must be submitted in 12pt Times New Roman in either .doc, .wps, .wpd or .rtf formats. Pre-defined margins by your word processor program will be discarded by our judges in determining page length...A4 will be used.
  • By submitting your work to us, you agree that we may share the work with our own staff and, after the contest, the GBH/EaWH community as a whole. We will retain any copyright you list on the work as well as your name in our distribution of it. You give us permission to read and release it to the community.
  • Although romance and violence are frequently part of real-life and the lives of those in the Galaxy Far Far Away, we have no desire to read overly graphic depictions of violence, bodily harm or love-making. Words which violate our swear filter are also frowned upon. Your work may be disqualified if we judge that there is an excess of this type of content, as there are younger members within this community - think PG-13.
  • You must have an account on this forum to enter and you must not be currently banned or otherwise barred from entering this forum. Unfortunately, we regret that we can not accept staff members.

As I previously stated, there are two categories in which you may enter. One is no better than the other, and it is merely a matter of preference of which will better reflect your writing talent. Each category is graded in several areas, from 0 to 10 points, and, like the other contests, will get points if specific criteria are met. Length alone is not the determining factor, though length may earn auxiliary points.

Categories

Category 1 - Vignette

A vignette is defined as "a brief scene from a movie or play." This category allows you to focus on one event and to concentrate on one significant event.

Rules - Vignette

• The work must be between 1 and 6 pages
  • Though not exactly the definition of "vignette", you may skim through a major plotline if it so fits your purpose.

Scoring - Vignette

Categories: Theme (underlying meaning), Plot, Characterization, Setting, Writing Talent (typography, grammar, spelling, mental imagery, etc.) and Originality/Creativity

Focusing on one event (battle, achievement, discovery, etc) = 1 point
Writing over 2 pages or 1,500 words = 1 point
Writing over 4 pages or 3,000 words = 1 point
Writing up to 6 full pages = 2 points

Participants: (underlined names mean the vignette has been received)

Friend of Old
BriJr
Leon Kennedy
Xaph

Category 2 - Novel

A novel is defined as "a fictional prose work with a relatively long and often complex plot, usually divided into chapters, in which the story traditionally develops through the thoughts and actions of its characters." This category allows you the length to describe intense plots covering multiple events, ultimately ending with the climax and the denouement. It allows you more space to give a complex theme or to convey an overall idea. You can sub-divide this into somewhat of a mystery genre, or a traditional novel. You have much freedom. Characters are encouraged to be designed as dynamic and round, unless it is in that character's nature to be static or flat.

Rules - Novel

• The work must be between 7 and 20 pages.

Scoring - Novel

Categories: Theme (underlying meaning), Plot, Characterization, Setting, Writing Talent (typography, grammar, spelling, mental imagery, etc.) and Originality/Creativity

Proper formation of a novel - exposition (introduction of the setting, characters and initial plot), complication (conflict), climax (where everything comes together) and optional denouement (aftermath; tragedy ends with the protagonist worse off, comedy (not ha-ha comedy) ends with protagonist better off than he was at the beginning) = 1 point
Writing over 15 pages or 12,000 words = 1 point
Writing up to 20 full pages = 1 points

Partipants:(underlined names mean the novel has been received)

Melkor1
kypjargon
Ninja Jedi
Boba Fettuccini

Active period of the contest and how to participate

The contest begins at the posting of this message and ends on Saturday, September 9th, 2006 - this is the deadline. To sign up, you just need to post in this thread or contact one of the judges with your email address, category and forum name (ex: "Crazed Ewok - crazed@heavengames.com - Novel").

Prizes and Judges

The 1st and 2nd-place winners have their choice of prizes. Physical, tangible prizes are available and will be sent to the winner's address. Prizes for those that would rather not give their address are available.

1st place (both categories):
Prize 1: Either a HeavenGames T-Shirt, Star Wars novel[s] of your choice or one of the upcoming, new Star Wars DVDs of your choice for under $20 USD.
Prize 2: Custom title of 1st place winner or name change
2nd place (both categories): Custom title of 2nd place winter or name change

The judges of the contest are staff members to allow the maximum number of people to participate. Submissions must be sent to Crazed Ewok and they will be shared with Angel AoErat, Mace and Echuu. Our judges' decisions will be made by October 11th, 2006.

I really hope all of you will get out and participate in this contest! It's a great opportunity and is a lot of fun, and you have the chance to win some really great prizes.

C hairman of the FMT, Mectator, and Seraph
r esident of Unity RPG, Anti-Heroes, and Indolents
a seraph at SWGBH and EAWH
z apping spammers and stealing their shoes
e w o k "Don't waste your breath trying to figure out my logic" - Seacker
d ependent on daily tea infusions

[This message has been edited by Crazed Ewok (edited 10-11-2006 @ 06:18 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-16-06 02:41 AM EDT (US)     1 / 260  
Sign me up.

Question: is there a limit to submissions? DB and I may go in double for a co-written fanfic but I have a few that I would also like to submit for consideration. And what about length - like, what if the novel goes over 20 pages?

One sig to rule them all, One sig to find them,
One sig to bring them all, And in the darkness bind them.
l Awards and Recognition l
Ad Pleniorem Scientiam l "How very civilized!" - Newt_Gunray l Official MEC Good Liberal

"Melkor just won the forum." - Xicon l "Melkor's intellect never ceases to amaze me!" - Cheapy the Hutt l "Melkor1, a true legend." - Imperial_Persia
"Melkor1 may just be the smartest person I have ever associated with over an internet forum." - Empire of Darkness
posted 06-16-06 02:56 AM EDT (US)     2 / 260  
One entry per registration. Though multiple works might have been good under different circumstances, I think it should be limited to one so that we'll have 4 unique winners.

Also, you need to cap your novel off at 20 A4-sized pages. If you're, like, a sentence or two over, we won't nitpick, but a limit has to be defined somewhere so that we don't have some people writing 2 pages and someone else writing 40.

I presume you want to be signed up into the Novel category?

posted 06-16-06 03:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 260  
I figured as much; you're right, it wouldn't be quite fair to allow multiple submissions.

Yeah, put me down for novel, but seeing as we need to cap the entry at 20 pages...I'm thinking our joint-fanfic will be a bit too long (it's not done yet and it's 138 pages. ).

One sig to rule them all, One sig to find them,
One sig to bring them all, And in the darkness bind them.
l Awards and Recognition l
Ad Pleniorem Scientiam l "How very civilized!" - Newt_Gunray l Official MEC Good Liberal

"Melkor just won the forum." - Xicon l "Melkor's intellect never ceases to amaze me!" - Cheapy the Hutt l "Melkor1, a true legend." - Imperial_Persia
"Melkor1 may just be the smartest person I have ever associated with over an internet forum." - Empire of Darkness

[This message has been edited by Melkor1 (edited 06-16-2006 @ 03:32 AM).]

posted 06-16-06 08:19 AM EDT (US)     4 / 260  
Sign me up for Novel

Victor von Doom
Winner of the Boromir Award
posted 06-16-06 08:35 AM EDT (US)     5 / 260  
Sign me up for Novel.
posted 06-16-06 09:27 AM EDT (US)     6 / 260  
sign me up for Vignette

What do i do if I start to overrun? change category or cut down?

posted 06-16-06 10:59 AM EDT (US)     7 / 260  
Sounds good, I wish you all luck with this!

I may enter for novel, but i'm very low on time.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-16-06 11:13 AM EDT (US)     8 / 260  
Sign me up for Novel.

No will to wake for this morn.
To see another black rose born,Deathbed is slowly covered with snow.
Angels, they fell first but I'm still here.
Alone as they are drawing near, In heaven my masterpiece will finally be sung

End of All, Nighwish
posted 06-16-06 11:14 AM EDT (US)     9 / 260  
Sweet. Sign me up for a novel.

JackXbox
posted 06-16-06 02:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 260  
Sign me up for novel, though I think "Short story" would have been a better name for that category.

And..... October? And September for due date? I can write a great story that's between 6 and 20 pages long in a day or two, 3 months is quite a bit of time.

Whoa.

[This message has been edited by Empire of Darkness (edited 06-16-2006 @ 02:46 PM).]

posted 06-16-06 03:01 PM EDT (US)     11 / 260  
Some people can't.

@Omri: Yes, you may change category.

posted 06-16-06 03:03 PM EDT (US)     12 / 260  
Based on the movies? No Ams and Shy?

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 06-16-06 03:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 260  
Erm, no, it's not based on the movies. It just has to have its setting within Star Wars.

posted 06-16-06 03:07 PM EDT (US)     14 / 260  
Wow... this definately looks like fun...

Sign me up for Vignette. If it goes too long I'll upgrade to Novel (I don't want to over-exert myself ).

Is it all right if it's an Infinities-esque storyline?

OOOO -DarthJacob1153- OOOO
Jorrel Fraajic (My Wookieepedia Profile)
(ŻŻŻŻŻŻ{{============= Custom Saber Shop =============}}ŻŻŻŻŻŻ)
posted 06-16-06 03:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 260  
Excellent activity idea! Sign me on for novel

Feed the birds
posted 06-16-06 03:11 PM EDT (US)     16 / 260  
Yes, darthjacob. Alternate Universe ones are fine; just no cross-overs.

How many people think the maximum pages limit for the novel is too much? I might change it if enough people think so.

[This message has been edited by Crazed Ewok (edited 06-16-2006 @ 03:12 PM).]

posted 06-16-06 03:13 PM EDT (US)     17 / 260  
Never mind. I misread.

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 06-16-2006 @ 03:15 PM).]

posted 06-16-06 03:44 PM EDT (US)     18 / 260  

Quote:

No Ams and Shy?

Doesn't matter, Moff:

Quote:

we have no desire to read overly graphic depictions of violence, bodily harm or love-making.

I'll sign up for one of these, if not both. Can you do that?

Quote:

single-spaced and must contain no whitespace between paragraphs.

What if that white space was made up? I mean whitespace between chapters, and whitespace to signify a new setting/time.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
I love you in a totally platonic way Xaph - Jon Rolos | Xaph does mutha****in' win the thread. - Anakin
Xaph, I wish you were my friend IRL - Boba Fettucini
Well I think it's obvious why Peter Noone would care about Xaph - Newt_Gunray
Xaph is suddenly full of win! - Zaarin | Xaph, how often do you win threads? Because you just won this one - Catabre

[This message has been edited by Xaph (edited 06-16-2006 @ 03:48 PM).]

posted 06-16-06 03:48 PM EDT (US)     19 / 260  
Sign me up for the Vignette

You rock dood - Nanosaur
"CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROLL FOR COOL" ~ Hobo
posted 06-16-06 04:17 PM EDT (US)     20 / 260  
I'll do a Vignette

Doctor FoO
posted 06-16-06 04:30 PM EDT (US)     21 / 260  
One submission per entrant, Xaph. Novel or Vignette, not both.

Also, I'll allow whitespace in that case, just for the sake of organization. However, it won't be counted towards the total number of pages.

[This message has been edited by Crazed Ewok (edited 06-16-2006 @ 04:31 PM).]

posted 06-16-06 04:31 PM EDT (US)     22 / 260  

Quote:

How many people think the maximum pages limit for the novel is too much?

I think it's fine. Gives us more time to explore background history, characters, etc.

Whoa.
posted 06-16-06 04:32 PM EDT (US)     23 / 260  
Errrr, I worded that wrong, EoD. I meant to say, "How many people think the limit for the novel category is not enough?"

posted 06-16-06 04:34 PM EDT (US)     24 / 260  
Wait untill mid week and I can say if it is enough or not, it depends on what is going to be happening and if they need the sapce - i gurantee someone will need a few more pages

JackXbox
posted 06-16-06 04:44 PM EDT (US)     25 / 260  
Oh ok.

I still think 20 pages should be enough.

Whoa.
posted 06-16-06 04:56 PM EDT (US)     26 / 260  
Just a quick question - does it have to be historically correct? As in, does it have to concur with realistic events, or, because it is fiction can we make stuff up

JackXbox
posted 06-16-06 05:01 PM EDT (US)     27 / 260  
No. As I said, Alternate Universe works are accepted. It just needs to be in the Star Wars Universe.

posted 06-16-06 05:03 PM EDT (US)     28 / 260  
Wicked. This is definatley one of the better contests - you don't have to be particuarly skilled at anything, all you need is an imagination

JackXbox
posted 06-16-06 05:24 PM EDT (US)     29 / 260  
You have to be skilled at writing.

Whoa.
posted 06-16-06 06:30 PM EDT (US)     30 / 260  

Quote:

How many people think the limit for the novel category is not enough

As I told you before, I think the limit for the novel categorey is silly. If someone writes a bigger and better piece, so be in.

Although IMO changing the rules after the fact is poor form.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » The Official Fan Fiction Contest
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven | HeavenGames