You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modifications & Maps
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Kongou Dess, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: HGExpo :: Bringing Heavens Together!
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 06-19-06 03:39 PM EDT (US)   
HGExpo
Bringing Heavens Together

Introduction
HeavenGames Expo (formally known as HGCon) is an online exposition and will celebrate the modders and scenario designers of the HeavenGames communities. Acting as an annual event, HGExpo will run its course over several days, bringing different sorts of competitions, showcases, media releases, and various events to the forumers of HG.

What sets this aside from any other convention is that it is completely online. How is this possible, you ask? Through the bright minds of our staff, new forums are being developed as well as a completely new and original site, which will be used specifically for HG Expo, and as such, will likely only be on for the length of the convention.

Heavens Taking Part
The following Heavens are taking part in HGExpo:

• Age of Empires Heaven
  • Age of Empires 3 Heaven
  • Age of Kings Heaven
  • Age of Mythology Heaven
  • Age of Wonders Heaven
  • Battle For Middle Earth 2 Heaven
  • Empire at War Heaven
  • Empire Earth Heaven
  • Rise of Legends Heaven
  • Rise of Nations Heaven
  • Rome Total War Heaven
  • Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Heaven
  • Stronghold Heaven

Schedual/Whats Happening
As said before, this event will take place over the course of several days. On the first day, the convention opens and designers and modders will be able to present their work, and may provide their own Question and Answer regarding their work if they would like as well as a few screenshots to accompany. These are not showcases, but rather sneak peeks as to what will be shown on the next day.

On the second day of the Expo, the designers and modders will put up their actual showcases. In these showcases, more screenshots are presented, and as well as other forms of media, such as trailers and music. To top it off, on the last day of the Expo, winners for having “The Best Showcase” for their respected game, and then “The Best of the Expo” which is the best showcase over all.

Day three of the Expo is the Game Day, where designers can release a demo of their work or their completely finished project. Today is another day for competitions varying between each game and a series of mass multiplayer games, similar to forum parties. Winners of these competitions will also be named and awarded. To be sure we don’t exclude the modders of HG, they will also have their own competitions as well.

The final day of HGExpo will be the day for online seminars: courses on modding or design given by the experts for each of their games. Designers can also discuss and share their methods and knowledge of design and learn new tricks or even how to design. To close the day, the awards for “The Best Showcase” and “The Best of the Expo” will be presented, as well as closure to the days’ events.

There are a number of things that will take place that don’t have any specific day, such as interviews done by the staff of HGExpo with designers or modders that truly impressed them. These interviews will catalogue hardships during the project as well as the over all production. This is but a snippet of what we have planned.

Staffing
HGExpo is unique, and therefore requires a unique staff setup. For the event we have decided that the 3 founding members (Blackmoon, Lord Plagueis and Empire of Darkness) will be participating in the running and management of the event, as well as Nebb who is doing all of plus being our general website developer! Although they are not HG official staff (No colors, no names), please everyone give these guys a great hand as they step into their staff positions for the duration of HGExpo.

So therefore, at present the core staff of HGExpo (non-including all general heaven booth staff and web developers/programmers) is the following;

BP
Site Director/Event Manager
bp@braindeficit.com

Blackmoon
Writer, Interviewer, Graphics Artist
hg.blackmoon@gmail.com

Empire Of Darkness
News, Writer, Interviewer, Administration
empireofdarkness@hotmail.com

Lord Plagueis
News, Interviewer, Management
hg.plagueis@gmail.com

Nebb
Interviewer, Web Developer
future.prospects@gmail.com

Pepsidude_123
Management, Administration
seventhstrike@gmail.com

Feel free to contact us with any questions regarding the event. Were happy to answer any queries you have, and will get back to you as soon as reasonably possible.

Finishing
HGExpo will be the uniting of all the forums, allowing all designers and modders a chance to show their work against the best of others from forums they likely have never been to. While this has its competitions and games to play, its true purpose is bringing the people together, and introducing them to the other games. HeavenGames is a very large community, which means HGExpo will have to be just as large, and just as fantastic as HeavenGames itself. We all are excited about HGExpo, and we hope that we will see you there!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004

[This message has been edited by BP (edited 07-28-2006 @ 12:48 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-19-06 03:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 64  
Is this a physical convention, an online convention or what?
posted 06-19-06 03:45 PM EDT (US)     2 / 64  
Well the majority will be online based, however we are considering perhaps some "live" events, though nothing is confirmed.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-19-06 03:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 64  
Okay, if HGCon will be predominantly online based - what will make it different to simply posting on the forums?
posted 06-19-06 04:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 64  
We would be running a whole range of activitys which would bring in forummers from other heavens, who share the same interests. The event would contain a whole variety of things in a short space of time, making it completly unique compared to standard forum posting. Sadly, I can't reveal that many specifics at present however some activitys may include lessons, interviews, short time contests, videos etc. The event is really down to you, the forummer! Its your choice whats *really* in it, so I'm welcome to any suggestions you may have for activitys and the like.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004

[This message has been edited by BP (edited 06-19-2006 @ 04:14 PM).]

posted 06-19-06 04:21 PM EDT (US)     5 / 64  
Heh, surely if you want suggestions you'll give out more information in regards to your idea of the Convention though? This would not only to get the ball rolling, but give an indication of what is/isn't possible ... Anyway, I have some questions:

Will the event make use of live "chat" - such as an IRC room?

How do you intend to bring together forumers from various Heavens? From what I am aware of; modding and scenario design differs between the games featured as Heavens - will the "lessons" etc you mention focus on specific games, or just the fundamentals?

(From your use of "interviews," I assume one of the ideas involves a web-chat with scenario designers employed by various game studios) - Will you attempt to arrange interviews with designers from the majority of games with Heavens?

posted 06-19-06 08:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 64  
Sounds interesting but what would the point of this be, if we can just make a thread on our sucsess and whatnot.

HEAD OF DEFENSE
FURRYRODIAN
: State of Scarlet : Projects : Movie-Battles :
" Intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."
- War of the Worlds

posted 06-20-06 06:47 AM EDT (US)     7 / 64  
Perhaps if some people were to run some 'Modding for Dummies' class, that might help to generate interest among those who know next to nothing about the subject (i.e me )

Prehaps a few competitions as well? Such as, 'Best Noobie Project' or 'Best <Insert Game Here> Project' with a few prizes as well to generate interest.

~~~Code of the Sith~~~

Peace is a lie,there is only passion, Through Passion, I gain strength,Through strength, I gain power,Through Power, I gain victory,Through victory, my chains are broken The force shall set me free

[This forrumer has been edited by Satan] COME WITH ME TO HELL!!

posted 06-20-06 07:27 AM EDT (US)     8 / 64  

Quote:

Perhaps if some people were to run some 'Modding for Dummies' class, that might help to generate interest among those who know next to nothing about the subject (i.e me )

How would this work though? General modding classes encompassing all of the games at HG, or game specific classes? You see I'm not sure a general class will be sufficent for most newbie-modders, but I also feel that it's unlikely the interest would be there for too many specific classes. Either way, what would make these classes essentially different from reading a guide then posting in a "Modding Help" thread? [Note] I'm not trying to knock your ideas, I'm just unsure as to how this "Convention" will work at bringing Heavens together, and how it will be different to general foruming at any other time ...

posted 06-20-06 11:39 AM EDT (US)     9 / 64  
The majority of lessons will be game specific, however there may be classes on things which can relate to all games (i.e. 3d modelling, or texture work). I've run classes in the past at BFME2H and they have been quite successful. It gives forummers the chance to ask there question then and there, and progress much faster than they would reading a guide.

The event will compose of its own site/forums, and many of the activitys will probably be based on IRC (however we would also be using our new teamspeak server for a variety of things, and perhaps some instant messengers).

Scenario Design and modding can relate with every game. In each scenario for example, you normally will use a storyline or plot - lessons on writing this may occur.

Lessons would be planned depending on what you guys really wanted, and I'm sure once we have a firm foundation of what you guys are after, we can go into more specifics.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-20-06 12:35 PM EDT (US)     10 / 64  
So; the premise of this convention is basically design tutorials and discussion, based around "real time" chat, using a special forum for coordination and such?
posted 06-20-06 12:53 PM EDT (US)     11 / 64  
That is definatly one aspect, though we hope with suggestions from you that we can make a whole variety of things for this event. Seriously, if you have a sensible idea - share it!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-20-06 01:24 PM EDT (US)     12 / 64  
I am more than happy to think up and share ideas just as soon as I understand the basic premise of this Convention and just what is/isn't possible. Perhaps I'm being stupid, but I can't seem to grasp what your vision for this Convention is from the four lines of explanation in the title post? There is no idication of whether HGCon aims to be online/offline, chat/forum based, tutorial/competition focussed (I doubt it could be both, as the better designers are likely to withold tricks etc from tutorials if faced with a competition) - even how long the thing will last for, or the timescale! I'm not trying to pick holes here; I just want to understand the point of this Convention more thoroughly.

Anyway; using the assumption it will be predominantly chat and tutorial based (a neccessity IMO to distinguish this from regular foruming), have you considered getting "professional" designers to give talks, or are you more likely to ask for volunteers from the comunity?

Have you considered running various competitions with prizes? Is this even a part of what you imagined "HGCon" to be? If you have; do you intend to offer a prize for example the "Best Mod/Scenario" for all games? Won't this cheapen the recognition earned for winning a prize (if there are so many) - if the number of categories is lowered, for example having only a "Best Mod/Scenario produced during HGCon," how do you plan to judge fairly? Who will judge competitions - Staff members?

posted 06-22-06 02:26 PM EDT (US)     13 / 64  

Quote:

Anyway; using the assumption it will be predominantly chat and tutorial based (a neccessity IMO to distinguish this from regular foruming), have you considered getting "professional" designers to give talks, or are you more likely to ask for volunteers from the comunity?

We have considered both, and wish the event too contain both - however developers always have a very busy schedual, and its hard to have developers come to such events, however like I said - we are looking into it.

Quote:

Have you considered running various competitions with prizes?

Due to the overwhelming popularity with forummers over this idea, we are considering it. It is likely it will put into the event in some shape or form.

Quote:

If you have; do you intend to offer a prize for example the "Best Mod/Scenario" for all games? Won't this cheapen the recognition earned for winning a prize (if there are so many) - if the number of categories is lowered, for example having only a "Best Mod/Scenario produced during HGCon,"

We have not at present decided how or what the prizes would/could be, however I'm sure any scenario designer/modder would be very willing to win an award, and would not feel it to be "cheap". Prizes would be up to the heaven in questions staff, and would be unique to each game.

Quote:

how do you plan to judge fairly? Who will judge competitions - Staff members?

Staff members will be judging the competitions, and hence that should eliminate all signs of bias.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-22-06 03:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 64  

Quote:

We have not at present decided how or what the prizes would/could be, however I'm sure any scenario designer/modder would be very willing to win an award, and would not feel it to be "cheap". Prizes would be up to the heaven in questions staff, and would be unique to each game.

I'm not so sure; if there ended up being 20+ competitions (assuming each fairly active Heaven has a best Mod/Scenario category) then there would be 60+ forumers who could claim an award (1st, 2nd, 3rd place) ... 60+ awards? Between how many possible designers? I think it could well be cheapened due to the volume of entries.

Regardless of that; what about custom titles for all those involved? Such as with the "Pharaolympics 2000" ... As petty as it sounds, I'm sure that would drum up enough entries to void my first point.

Are you going to contact Gaming magazines about this? Perhaps you could get someone such as PC Gamer to sponser the convention, with the promise of the winner's mods or scenarios featuring on the cover cd? Again, that would drum up interest and entries - and also make the thing look a little more "professional" ...

posted 06-22-06 03:36 PM EDT (US)     15 / 64  

Quote:

I'm not so sure; if there ended up being 20+ competitions (assuming each fairly active Heaven has a best Mod/Scenario category) then there would be 60+ forumers who could claim an award (1st, 2nd, 3rd place) ... 60+ awards? Between how many possible designers? I think it could well be cheapened due to the volume of entries.

Theres always a whole variety of contests going on at different heavens, this doesn't cheapen them in anyway - the only difference here is, they'll all be in one place.

Quote:

Regardless of that; what about custom titles for all those involved? Such as with the "Pharaolympics 2000" ... As petty as it sounds, I'm sure that would drum up enough entries to void my first point.

Are you going to contact Gaming magazines about this? Perhaps you could get someone such as PC Gamer to sponser the convention, with the promise of the winner's mods or scenarios featuring on the cover cd? Again, that would drum up interest and entries - and also make the thing look a little more "professional" ...

Both of those, are extremly good ideas! I'll note them down and make sure to get back to you with results on them!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-22-06 04:03 PM EDT (US)     16 / 64  

Quote:

Theres always a whole variety of contests going on at different heavens, this doesn't cheapen them in anyway - the only difference here is, they'll all be in one place.

BP, there you have the point. There are competitions at other times, but to have too many held at once and in one place will inevitably cheapen the value of the award. There would be a fair amount of "glory" in being proclaimed the designer of the overall "Best Mod made during HGCon" however would the same glory be attached to a win if there were 9 other owners of a similar "Best Mod made during HGCon" award? No. ...

Hmm, one solution could be having best Mod/Scenario competitions in each individual Heaven (judged by the staff of that Heaven) then putting all the winning entries into a GameFaqs style poll; ie grouping the mods/scenarios together then letting the forumers vote their favourite out of a selection - then send the "winning" winner mod/scenario into another round, for the process to continue. If done this way, you could link all the similar games together (for example grouping all the 2D, 3D and CB games together in a modding compeition so that sheer "looks" wouldn't be the most important factor.) This would get rid of the problem of awards being cheapened by the amount, and also save on the ammount of prizes HG would need to splash out on ...

posted 06-23-06 11:30 AM EDT (US)     17 / 64  
Thats a very good idea! Although I also feel if your put up for perhaps getting best mod/scn, the person should get a prize whatever the outcome.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-23-06 08:18 PM EDT (US)     18 / 64  
Well, a custom title would be enough for most IMO.
posted 06-29-06 02:27 PM EDT (US)     19 / 64  
Staff I wish to request this to be stickyed, as its going to have some major updates in the future - thanks.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-30-06 04:18 PM EDT (US)     20 / 64  
If it sinks I'll sticky it. Right now it's at the top anyway.
posted 07-05-06 02:55 PM EDT (US)     21 / 64  
I want a custom title .

|M|o|d|e|l|i|n|g|

My anti-life

posted 07-26-06 07:26 PM EDT (US)     22 / 64  
A notification for everyone that this event is now going to be definatly happening! Please read the main thread content for more information - thanks.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 07-27-06 10:55 AM EDT (US)     23 / 64  
Again, this updated post doesn't fill me with confidence about your "event" in the slightest. IMHO the idea behind the event was poor in the begining, and I find this description/explanation serves only to corroborate my first impressions.

Firstly, this post leaves many unanswered questions. What time zone are the "days" working under, and how do you plan to keep things "even" for those forumers who'd be working against the chosen timezone? Will the lessons be game specific? How will the lessons be delivered? If they're forum/text based; how do you make them differ from the current guides available on the forums? How will you ensure fairness when judging (for example) mods made for a AoE3 compared to mods made for AoE due to the graphically superior nature of the former? - perhaps your "bright minds" could fill me in, yes?

As far as I can tell, your event is esentially no different to the weekly goings on at a Heaven - ie people showcasing mods/scenarios and getting feedback or reading design guides. You've tried to jazz it up by putting it all in one place and having awards, but that's hardly variety enough to warrant a new event. You have offered no real explanation to the purpose of this?

posted 07-27-06 02:28 PM EDT (US)     24 / 64  

Quote:

Firstly, this post leaves many unanswered questions. What time zone are the "days" working under, and how do you plan to keep things "even" for those forumers who'd be working against the chosen timezone?

The timezone issue hasn't been fully addressed yet, we will finalize something later on, but right now it's a pretty minor issue IMO.

Quote:

Will the lessons be game specific?

Yes they will have to be.

Quote:

How will the lessons be delivered?

There are several ideas on the table for this; forums/text based included but also IRC and voice delivered lessons which gives the students a far more interactive level of learning.

Quote:

If they're forum/text based; how do you make them differ from the current guides available on the forums?

That's really up to the writer.

Quote:

How will you ensure fairness when judging (for example) mods made for a AoE3 compared to mods made for AoE due to the graphically superior nature of the former?

Some awards will be game specific, for the more general awards we will have a judging panel with experts from both 3D and 2D modification, who will both be able to give equal information to the judging board about the mod. And therefore it's not so much whether it looks good but whether it's a good mod in general.

Quote:

As far as I can tell, your event is esentially no different to the weekly goings on at a Heaven - ie people showcasing mods/scenarios and getting feedback or reading design guides. You've tried to jazz it up by putting it all in one place and having awards, but that's hardly variety enough to warrant a new event. You have offered no real explanation to the purpose of this?

There are plenty of reasons, but to list a few:

Right now there are plenty of designers that stay at one game specificly and find it hard to branch out and be active at multiple heavens this event will allow them to learn more about another games and explore the HG community as a whole rather than just one portal

Secondly, this gives designers somewhat of an event to announce thing at to look foward too to get more publisity if you will.

Whats the purpose of HeavenGames having a expo event? The same purpose the gaming industry has an E3.

[This message has been edited by Blackmoon (edited 07-27-2006 @ 10:34 PM).]

posted 07-27-06 02:35 PM EDT (US)     25 / 64  

Quote:

As far as I can tell, your event is esentially no different to the weekly goings on at a Heaven

I have to agree completely with Scarlet. This is really turning out to look like a pointless waste of time and resources. I mean, if this is worth merit on HG, then I demand my custom title be changed to Captain Ahab and I get my own heaven for porn and beer advertisements.

Generalissimo TCP | FREE SYRIA!
Xaph's Forumer of the Year '08, Best Thread and Most likely to be sigged, '08
"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven » Forums » Modifications & Maps » HGExpo :: Bringing Heavens Together!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven | HeavenGames