Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.48 replies
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven » Forums » Strategy » Ground Tactics
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ground Tactics
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
DG_republicmk0
Ensign
posted 02-07-07 07:27 PM EDT (US)         
Well, we have a debate on the space fleets and their respective tactics, but what about when the fighting goes landside? Got any ideas for any of the three factions here?

The most deadly weapon are the small ones.
Those that you usually don't notice until you feel them pressing against your back.
-Fiction by me: Showdown
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.
AuthorReplies:
WatchWood
Ensign
posted 02-07-07 08:13 PM EDT (US)     1 / 48       
Auto resolve, since I get quite thoroughly raped when I play the ground game.

I'm Your Daddy
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.
Can't believe on back on this damned site again.
Stormraider
Lieutenant
posted 02-07-07 08:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 48       
I find that as the AI tends to use a "rush everything at your landing spot" tactic, it's wise to land cheap soldiers first. Combined with the AI's tendency to mass artillery, I rarely even waste my money on the more expensive units such as T4's and ATAT's.

Instead, as Rebellion, I use Obi-Wan, Infiltrators, Han/Chewie, and a mass of Rebel Troopers and Rocket Troopers. I scout with Obi-Wan or Han, as they absorb more damage, and have useful skills to deal with new situations emerging from the Fog of War. Behind this scouting group, I slowly bring up my Infantry Mass (walking together), and finally my other heroes, and Infiltrators.

A lot of the time, if the enemy does not have a mass of Arty, I don't even send infantry, just Infils, Han/Chewie, and ObiWan. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, and you need to heavily micro land units anyways. Chewie steals the big enemy craft, Han EMP's the others, the Infils Thermal Detonate them, and ObiWan heals and protects from infantry with the Infils. It's damned cheap, and rarely fails me.

As Empire, it's a bit tougher. You don't have a hero like ObiWan who can heal quickly, and you have no rocket troops. In that case, I mostly rely on Vader, and huge hordes of AT-ST's and Stormies. Once again, because it is cheap, and losing these units aside from Vader means little to nothing to me. If one attack fails, I can easily afford a new army and just Bomb the hell out of the strong points or masses of units which beat me before.

I find Land Battles are infuriating, as units are countered entirely TOO fast, and you end up wasting huge amounts of credits if you look away for a few seconds: hence my cheap, hero-centered armies.

"we have an agenda, a character assassination agenda, assassinating characters is what we do for a living" - Sukkit
gigashadow
Ensign
posted 02-08-07 03:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 48       
I find that with the rebels, my best strategy is just set myself up with regular and rocket troops and launch a quick strike or two. Usually the first one just has 1 unit to assess defense then the second raid party is the three man combo to deal with it. 4 if it has han and chewie since they don't count against me.

also turrents are my best friend

for the empire i either use coronal(spelt wrong)veers and stormies/at-st/scout bikes, or boba and stormies with a few atst's and some tanks.

with boba i scout out the enemy and bombard/bombing run the base then run away and build turrents to deal with the reinforcments.

with the corstium i haven't got a good strategy yet but i really like the destroyer droids.

DG_republicmk0
Ensign
posted 02-08-07 04:23 PM EDT (US)     4 / 48       
What about the benefits of an Armored Warfare tactic that revolves around tanks with infantry support, kind of like the old Soviet tactics? I mean it is expensive, especially with the Consortium, but what about the benefits? After all, there is a lot of firepower in one of those formations...

Those that you usually don't notice until you feel them pressing against your back.
WatchWood
Ensign
posted 02-08-07 05:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 48       
The benefits are usually firepower and unit durability, though given the availability of counter units for just about all forms of armour, I generally just use them in a support role for an infantry force.

I'm Your Daddy
Stormraider
Lieutenant
posted 02-08-07 05:25 PM EDT (US)     6 / 48       
It's also slow moving and prone to getting blown away by Artillery and Scout Bike ThermDets. On top of that, it is still very vulnerable to a Set-Piece defense of Anti-Vehicle Turrets and Arty. You're risking a lot of credits on the assumption that your opponent will not spring a surprise or two upon you. That's not even touching what will happen if they enemy has a fleet above.....
Infantry can outrun bombing runs, armour cannot.
The Soviets had weeks or months to plan offensives, gather intelligence, and make contingencies; you have minutes or seconds.

"we have an agenda, a character assassination agenda, assassinating characters is what we do for a living" - Sukkit

[This message has been edited by Stormraider (edited 02-08-2007 @ 05:27 PM).]

gigashadow
Ensign
posted 02-09-07 02:52 PM EDT (US)     7 / 48       
to counter your agruement, that is why i hate the rebelion, go empire.

with the rebels, like i said my parties aren't high tech cause their a three man riad team based on what the scarfice soilders (1 soilder scout troop) found. Ussually not all that powerful. bombimg runs are easy to avoid but if I'm having to much trouble then I am forced to take the space above which I will admit i have some problems with since the rebel ships are more speed and I like power housing my way through.

if i do take space above then i send in artillary with troops and some t2 and t4-b's and just generals a balanced group to take out anything i see and i'll rush troops up to their buildings in order to send in a bombing run (or in FoC a bombardment)

Stormraider
Lieutenant
posted 02-09-07 06:15 PM EDT (US)     8 / 48       

Quote:

to counter your agruement, that is why i hate the rebelion, go empire.

Whose land units are generally even slower, and even MORE vulnerable, as the Rebels have cheap Rocket soldiers who can appear out of nowhere, and are expendable?

DeadlyRifle
Ensign
posted 02-10-07 02:45 PM EDT (US)     9 / 48       
I agree with Stormraider, Rebel Soldiers are better, they have less of them, they cost less and just kick ass. Espeacially the the Plex Soldiers, or the Airspeeders.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
- General George Patton Jr
gigashadow
Ensign
posted 02-10-07 06:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 48       
Yes rebel troops are general better but the empire has the advantage in space and doesn't need to even fight land battles by the end of tech 5
DeadlyRifle
Ensign
posted 02-11-07 12:20 PM EDT (US)     11 / 48       
Thats if they live that long. Rebel raids are critical. What i usually do on Galactic Conquest is, get 3 Airspedder squadrons (this is the maximum that it will allow) figure out where the Emperor is, and raid that planet, attacking only the Emperor

DG_republicmk0
Ensign
posted 02-11-07 04:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 48       
Another problems with the infantry style tactics is the idea that enemy vehicles can tear them apart, after all haven't we seen what a team of TIE Maulers can do to an infantry division? PLEX and Consortium Grenadiers can get some of them, but aren't a few going to slip through and hammer the infantry, not to mention what a single MPTL or SPMT-A can do to a formation?

DeadlyRifle
Ensign
posted 02-11-07 09:56 PM EDT (US)     13 / 48       
Not a pretty sight if your on the receiving end. Espeacially if that company is the turning point for you and a single artillery piece inhalited it.

WatchWood
Ensign
posted 02-12-07 00:21 AM EDT (US)     14 / 48       
That's why I keep blessing the name of the man who invented the big guns.

I'm Your Daddy
Stormraider
Lieutenant
posted 02-12-07 02:31 AM EDT (US)     15 / 48       

Quote:

Another problems with the infantry style tactics is the idea that enemy vehicles can tear them apart, after all haven't we seen what a team of TIE Maulers can do to an infantry division? PLEX and Consortium Grenadiers can get some of them, but aren't a few going to slip through and hammer the infantry, not to mention what a single MPTL or SPMT-A can do to a formation?

Which is why you scout, and include heroes. Yes, the infantry formations can fall to numbers of TIE Maulers or Arty, but that's literally about it. The AI is unlikely to mass Maulers--though they do love their Arty--and human players are incredibly unlikely to mass either unless you make it obvious as to what your intentions are.

The point also being, that even if you lose a whole force of infantry, likely the cost you inflicted on your enemy was high, and your losses remain a relatively cheap loss.

DG_republicmk0
Ensign
posted 02-13-07 06:09 PM EDT (US)     16 / 48       
I agree with Stormraider about the scouting deal and the mass attack possability, but any plan can fall apart in a matter of seconds, that was made abundantly clear over in the REBEL FLEETS post. even if you took every scouting measure possible from C3PO or Probe Droids, what if you missed just one enemy unit or that hero you sent in for the assault found himself in a world of hurt early on? The common scout units I have seen used on the ground are generally Airspeeders, Scout Bikes, and the Lancet Airiel Artillerty ships, plus artillery scouts. What happens when those are gone and you only know were a fraction of their forces are? How do you deal with that? Plus we all know the reach of artillery and barring bombing runs and orbital bombardments, those aren't easy to counter if your enemy is smart enough to defend them. So doesn't that make an infantry heavy assault a lot more difficult to use?
-bye the way, good point about how cheap infantry are, if you are in the mood for a bonzai charge, they are the best units for the job (only because of the price)

Xaph
Shalashaska
(id: Xaphianion)
posted 02-14-07 04:37 PM EDT (US)     17 / 48       
Since I got FoC I stopped worrying about tactics in Ground Battles and just relied on 1-credit Stormtroopers from Kamino.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
I love you in a totally platonic way Xaph - Jon Rolos | Xaph does mutha****in' win the thread. - Anakin
Xaph, I wish you were my friend IRL - Boba Fettucini
Well I think it's obvious why Peter Noone would care about Xaph - Newt_Gunray
Xaph is suddenly full of win! - Zaarin | Xaph, how often do you win threads? Because you just won this one - Catabre
DeadlyRifle
Ensign
posted 02-14-07 05:55 PM EDT (US)     18 / 48       
DG, how you deal with it is you have your force in a wide sweep heading towards the area that you no where their forces are. If you have the credits, you find tactically good places and build turrets and hole up, occasionally launching scouting raids. If they come at you with artillery, send out your fastest units (that arent infantry) .

Also for the Rebels, i love the raiding battles, these battles have saved me so many credits and so much time and ships and troops it is unbelievable

[This message has been edited by DeadlyRifle (edited 02-14-2007 @ 05:57 PM).]

FurryRodian
Ensign
posted 02-14-07 08:40 PM EDT (US)     19 / 48       
My favorite tactic is maulers for dealing with ground units (just run them over), AT-STs for vehicles and AT-ATs to deal buildings as well as being my soldier producer. (God bless the troop deployment idea.)

HEAD OF DEFENSE
FURRYRODIAN
: State of Scarlet : Projects : Movie-Battles :
" Intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."
- War of the Worlds

DeadlyRifle
Ensign
posted 02-15-07 03:39 PM EDT (US)     20 / 48       
Ok, one we have gone over all of this, all easy to counter with some Plex Troopers, Airspeeders and T4Bs or some turrets. A standard Rebel force. Two that is a really stupid thing to bless

gigashadow
Ensign
posted 02-15-07 05:41 PM EDT (US)     21 / 48       
Is it just me or in the new expansion pack, is the Zann Consortium extremely overpowered?
DG_republicmk0
Ensign
posted 02-15-07 07:11 PM EDT (US)     22 / 48       
Yes the ZC has one painful punch, if you haven't been on the recieving end of those Canderous Assault Tanks, just hope you don't ever have to. Out of curiosity though, of all all four factions (I'm including the Pirates) who do you guys think is the best in a straight up, no holds barfight style of a battle?
DeadlyRifle
Ensign
posted 02-15-07 09:10 PM EDT (US)     23 / 48       
Either the Rebels or Zann Consortium... or Empire . The ZC has the those kcik ass tanks and the destroyer droids. The Rebels are ridiculosuly good landside espeacially with Yoda! Personally i hate the Empire but with the edition of the Dark Troopers...

[This message has been edited by DeadlyRifle (edited 02-16-2007 @ 04:53 PM).]

Reaper_93
Ensign
posted 02-23-07 05:46 PM EDT (US)     24 / 48       
*addition

And yes, dark troopers are my favorite Imperial weapons project EVER! <3 empire!!!!

Quote:

1-credit Stormtroopers from Kamino.

In lieu of Dark Troopers, those will do nicely

/{[[===============================,
||/
|||
\\|
`\\
Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee...
DeadlyRifle
Ensign
posted 02-24-07 04:07 PM EDT (US)     25 / 48       
Seeing as i havent played FoC but once, and that was a space skirmish, can some1 enlighten me to what has been upgraded for the Rebel groundforces

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven | HeavenGames