You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Why was Revenge of the Sith nominated for the Academy Award in 'Best Makeup'?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Why was Revenge of the Sith nominated for the Academy Award in 'Best Makeup'?
Chook
Ensign
(id: Cerrabore)
posted 07-09-06 07:10 PM EDT (US)         
I was contemplating Palpatine (a character both wonderful and terrible, in terms of writing and acting), and I remembered: didn't he look creepy in Attack of the Clones? Yes:

However, what happened in Revenge of the Sith? Palpatine "de-aged."

He's actually wearing very little makeup, as off-set interviews with Ian McDiarmid suggest. When I got that issue of Star Wars Insider (yes, I used to subscribe) with Episode II Palpatine's face on the cover, I was thrilled. This was how he was to become the disfigured horror in Return of the Jedi: gradually. However, Episode III tossed that out the window, and furthermore, what is wrong with the Emperor Palpatine makeup?

He's fat. I can't explain it otherwise. There are huge slabs of clay on his face, apparently placed in a vein attempt to make old McDiarmid look like young, evil McDiarmid.

It's just funny, I thought, because even the makeup in Revenge of the Sith sucks.

Chook | Galactic Battlegrounds Heaven
"I can't think of a better way on earth to build public favor than [the marriage equality movement], other than of course rounding up the Jews." - Sarthos
"Long story short, our goal is love and tolerance." - Sarthos
AuthorReplies:
The Batman
Ensign
posted 07-09-06 08:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
You still remmember what happened at the Oscars? And you make a thread NOW?

As to an anwser I think that they just needed to give the last Star Wars SOMETHING so they said: "wtf, lets give it the award nobody cares about"

" Well, I'll go back in time and prevent Ledger from ODing. If the movie is still as acclaimed, then I'll go back again, stop myself from stopping him, and let time proceed normally." - Moff Yittreas
"Map design is what you do in the scn editor, eye candy is the stuff I'm not allowed to link to on these forums." - The Legend
"Someone has to play the asshole in these type of threads." - Blackmoon

+1 Post Count
Cadre
Ensign
posted 07-09-06 08:13 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
you are aware the Palpatine wasn't the only character in ROTS that had makeup?

Cadre - Proud member of the Brotherhood of Nod
SWGBH | CnC3 | Heavengames
Empire of Darkness
Ensign
(id: Imperial Force)
posted 07-09-06 08:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
Palpatine, I believe, is actually the thing they were referring to with the award.

Whoa.
Xaph
Shalashaska
(id: Xaphianion)
posted 07-09-06 09:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
I don't think they get nominated for one character, and even then, Palpatine's make-up was worth a nomination. though not nessecarily the win.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
I love you in a totally platonic way Xaph - Jon Rolos | Xaph does mutha****in' win the thread. - Anakin
Xaph, I wish you were my friend IRL - Boba Fettucini
Well I think it's obvious why Peter Noone would care about Xaph - Newt_Gunray
Xaph is suddenly full of win! - Zaarin | Xaph, how often do you win threads? Because you just won this one - Catabre
Darth Fett
Ensign
posted 07-09-06 11:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
The only thing Episode 3 deserves is to be buried six feet under ground with hundreds of C4 bombs which detonate and reassemble themselves, destroying the movie again every 5 seconds.

You rock dood - Nanosaur
"CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROLL FOR COOL" ~ Hobo
Xaph
Shalashaska
(id: Xaphianion)
posted 07-09-06 11:46 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
How could it? The movie is destroyed the first time.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
I love you in a totally platonic way Xaph - Jon Rolos | Xaph does mutha****in' win the thread. - Anakin
Xaph, I wish you were my friend IRL - Boba Fettucini
Well I think it's obvious why Peter Noone would care about Xaph - Newt_Gunray
Xaph is suddenly full of win! - Zaarin | Xaph, how often do you win threads? Because you just won this one - Catabre
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Star Wars: Empire at War Heaven | HeavenGames