News Archives - May 2006
- New Holocron Articles
- Posted on 5/28/2006 at 9:49 PM by Crazed Ewok
- Darth Persia has brought us two new, great articles on the Strategy aspect of Empire at War. His first one, Campaign Guide tells us some of the most effective methods to win one of EaW's several campaign maps.
The second of the bunch is the Heroes Listing, which describes, in full, the myriad of heroes and hero powers in the game.
- Star Wars Universe Update
- Posted on 5/19/2006 at 12:42 AM by Crazed Ewok
- It's time for my highly irregular update on our Star Wars Universe forum. As some of you may know, SWU has always been rather a mixing bowl of role-playing games; today, Star Wars fanatic and long time role-player Darth Persia gave a summary of the past, present and the future of role-playing within our community. He describes the plot of one of the most popular RPGs, The Old Republic Thread: Remastered.
Also, there's a new RPG Calendar thread by forummer DarkSideFire so you can get the gist of all the active RPGs, and schedule one of your own.
May the Force be with you!
- Petroglyph Map Contest Soon?
- Posted on 5/18/2006 at 6:34 PM by AoErat
- Judging by their webpage, it looks like Petroglyph Games (Developers of Empire at War) will soon be hosting a mapping contest. We'll keep you updated as more information becomes available.
- Map Editor Released!
- Posted on 5/15/2006 at 6:07 PM by AoErat
- At long last, the Empire at War map editor is available for download. You can grab it from fileplanet.
The STAR WARS: EMPIRE AT WAR map editor is now available for download. The editor gives you the ability to create land and space skirmish maps. It also includes a 3D Studio Max plug-in allowing you to bring models into the editor that you've created. Patch 1.04 is required in order to play custom maps created by the editor. Please note that the editor is not supported and is only available in English.
- Patch 1.04 Released!
- Posted on 5/15/2006 at 2:55 PM by AoErat
- The long-awaited patch 1.04 is out today! There's been lots of bug fixes, including general balance issues and space & land tactical changes. Support for user-created maps has also been added. Expect a map editor to be available shortly!
You can grab the new patch from Lucasarts, or view the full list of changes on our patches page.
- New Forces of Corruption Section Opens!
- Posted on 5/13/2006 at 6:57 PM by AoErat
- We've just opened our brand new Forces of Corruption (FOC) section here on Empire at War Heaven. Check out all the known info about the upcoming expansion! You'll find an overview, comprehensive F.A.Q., a list of units known thus far, and of course, screenshots. We'll be keeping the section updated as new information becomes available, so be sure to check back!
- Scenario Design Classes at NYU
- Posted on 5/13/2006 at 6:19 PM by AoErat
- NYU is having a class on "Dialogue and Narrative Creation for Electronic Games" focusing on the creation of RTS games! The class is being conducted by Gordon Farrell, who has a large number of highly rated scenarios on the HeavenGames download systems. Gordon went on from HG to work at Stainless Steel Studios, Breakaway Games and Tilted Mill.
This is a great opportunity for those in the NY area to learn more about game design. The class runs from May 15th to June 23 and meets Monday and Wed from 5:30 to 8:30. This is an actual college class you can take for college credits. Check it out at this link.
- Forces of Corruption Box Art and Clan Listing
- Posted on 5/12/2006 at 1:23 PM by Crazed Ewok
- There's alot of news today. Firstly, Empire-at-War.com has claimed to have obtained an image of the art used on the box of the upcoming expansion pack. Here, you can see images of Tyber Zann, the Executor and all kinds of units.
Secondly, we now how a general idea of the release date. Fall 2006 is the timetable given for the release of this really hot game!
Also, the long awaited Clan Listing has finally been compiled. If you're interested in joining a clan that plays Empire at War, you can find a great wealth of information on that page.
May the Force be with you!
- E3 Forces of Corruption Video
- Posted on 5/11/2006 at 7:00 PM by AoErat
- The folks over at Petroglyph MW have posted two videos recording the presentation of Empire at War: Forces of Corruption on their website. Check 'em out and learn more about this newly-announced expansion pack. Fileplanet account required to download.
- Forces of Corruption Screenshots
- Posted on 5/11/2006 at 3:08 AM by AoErat
- Check out some screenshots of the upcoming Empire at War expansion, Forces of War, right here in the screenshot section. See the might Super Star Destroyer and lots of other new units.
- Expansion Pack Trailer!
- Posted on 5/10/2006 at 2:18 PM by Crazed Ewok
- Yesterday, I cast some doubt on the validity of the possible new expansion pack, but I retract those words. Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption has been officially announced by LucasArts, and there is already a trailer out! You can clearly see StarViper Assault Fighters that were employed by Black Sun, the Eclipse Star Destroyer of the Dark Empire comics, Droidekas, the IG-2000 (or perhaps just a regular Aggressor Assault Fighter) and even some IG assassin droids! I think that means we might be seeing the infamous IG-88 as a hero for this new criminal faction. There also seems to be some new units for the original factions; I think I saw some Phase II Dark Troopers and you can clearly see B-Wings.
Already, I think this is going to add a whole lot of depth to the game. I can see it now - Empire versus Alliance, and sneaking up between them are the criminal cartels that were pretty much silent in the original Empire at War. But I digress; check out the trailer here!
Also, here is a segment from the LucasArts official announcement of the expansion pack:
"Following the success of Star Wars: Empire at War, the best-selling PC game of Q1 2006, LucasArts announces an expansion pack titled Star Wars Empire at War: Forces of Corruption. A widely appealing strategy game, Empire at War let gamers play the Light Side of the Dark Side in an epic galactic civil war. Now, for the first time ever, Star Wars Empire at War: Forces of Corruption introduces a unique point of view - the corrupt side.
The Rebels have just destroyed the Death Star, and the galaxy is in turmoil. As an aspiring underworld figure named Tyber Zahn, spread corruption throughout the galaxy using new strategic gameplay elements to influence other factions, steal their funs, slow their production, spy on them and more, all en route to becoming the most notorious criminal leader since Jabba the Hutt. Exciting new land-tactical options like customizable, upgradeable bases and guerilla warfare allow for innovative battlefield tactics. Take command of and confront new fighting units for all factions (Rebel B-Wings, Imperial TIE Interceptors, Darth Vader's Executor Super Star Destroyer and more), and take down anyone who stands in your way of ruling the underworld, be they new battlefield heroes like Luke Skywalker and Yoda or the forces of your most bitter rival -- Jabba. Destroy capital ships with the awesome firepower of the Second Death Star, and satiate Tyber's drive for the deadliest capital ship in the galaxy, a devastatingly powerful Super Star Destroyer known as the Eclipse."
Remember to keep checking back for more information, because there's sure to be alot of it!
Also, the original game is still important, so we have a new Strategy article for us, contributed by Darth Persia. If you want to know how to deal with retreating, click here.
- An expansion pack?
- Posted on 5/9/2006 at 3:42 PM by Crazed Ewok
- Recently, there have been rumblings about a new expansion pack for Empire at War. Finally, it seems we have some credible information about it. Empire at War.net, another major fansite based on the game, reports the following exerpt from the UK PC Gamer magazine:
Hot of the holonews, we finally have word that an official Empire at War expansion is on the way!
An exert from a UK magazine saying, "George Lucas gets some things right: he may have desecrated the SW universe with his hideous attempts at the Prequels, but the recent RTS StarWars: Empire At War stepped into the original films' timeline and was all teh better for it. You Spread your corruption through the galaxy Far Far Away, using your dark influence to earn money, suck up resources and wage space-and ground-based real-time battles. The Expansion brings you a new challenge, to go Jabba on the younglings. You're Aspiring crime lord Tyber Zann, who is undermining the Empire, Rebels and Everyone else for the ULTIMATE PRIZE: A SUPER STAR DESTROYER, ELEVEN TIMES the size of the original. There's a Machievellian undercurrent to the action, as you spy, cajole, threaten and steal from the rest of teh universe to fuel your own Infamy."
Apparently the expansion will follow a new crime lord, Tyber Zann, and his quest to take over the galaxy.
View the first screenshot including TIE Interceptors and TIE Phantoms, along with a Super Star Destroyer, and post your thoughts and comments about this exciting news HERE.
I've not been able to find anything on LucasArts' official website, but if this is true, we might be getting a totally official announcement in a matter of days! Better yet, Empire at War.net is also hosting a live dev chat with the developers of the game - be sure not to miss this great opportunity! You can find more about the chat here
You can join the community in discussing this new expansion pack right in our own forums. Enjoy!
- EaW Map Editor and Patch 1.04
- Posted on 5/7/2006 at 11:17 PM by Mace
- LEC Rogue has posted details of the 1.04 patch, which features several balance tweaks, bug fixes, and a couple of minor features. There is also a bit of information concerning the upcoming map editor. Check it out here.
- Holocron Article Submission
- Posted on 5/2/2006 at 1:08 AM by Crazed Ewok
- After a trial with a horrible sinus infection, I'm happy to finally begin uploading some new, great Holocron articles. We've got some good ones on the way, and the first of them is by community member Darth Persia. He instructs us how to avoid that oft-annoying loss of credit income that can beplague any player. Check it out here!