News Archives - February 2006
- New Holocron Modding Article
- Posted on 2/25/2006 at 4:58 PM by Crazed Ewok
- With the unveiling of the Holocron, we've already got our very first forummer-submitted article. Demo Modding Guide for Newbies, a fabulous article written by lordbodin99, covers how to modify the Empire at War Demo. So, if you haven't gotten the money to buy the actual game yet and are still playing the demo, you can check out the guide for information on how to do some editing to gain access to cool new ships and increased credits!
- Two New Forums
- Posted on 2/25/2006 at 3:42 PM by AoErat
- We've opened two new forums here at Empire at War Heaven. For all your strategy and tactics needs, we've got the new Strategy forum. With the release of game modification tools from Petroglyph (designers) coming very soon, the new Game Modifications forum should be a good place to discuss changing the game.
- Article System Now In Place
- Posted on 2/25/2006 at 1:33 AM by Crazed Ewok
- Mace and I are proud to announce that the basic version of our user-submitted content system, The Holocron, is now up and running. It already features a few articles, but what makes it cool is that you can submit your own articles. Just read the Submission Guidelines and start sending in articles!
To start off, we have the Forum Party and the Configuring Empire at War for Multiplayer guides. I really hope they help you in some way, but I also hope you'll send in your own compositions.
- New Planet Information Database
- Posted on 2/24/2006 at 5:20 PM by AoErat
- Check out our newest section, the Planet Database. Start from the galactic map and choose the planet you are interested in. Each planetary page includes vital information about the planet, as well as displaying the space and ground maps. There is a page for each of the 44 planets, with accompanying info.
See it here.
- Developer Chat at LucasArts Tomorrow! (2/23)
- Posted on 2/22/2006 at 4:48 PM by AoErat
- The developers of Empire at War will be holding a post-release online chat hosted by LucasArts tomorrow, February 23rd. Here's the details:
We will be joined on Feb 23, 2006 at 4:00 p.m. (Pacific time) for 60-90 minutes of questions and answers with members of the Empire at War development team from Petroglyph, including designers Chris Rubyor and Joe Bostic, lead programmer Mike Legg (tentative) and more!
Here's where the chat will take place.
- First Forum Party!
- Posted on 2/21/2006 at 12:50 AM by Crazed Ewok
- Yep, that's right. Our first event in which forummers from all around EAWH will play games together is coming up. The time is 6 PM-11 PM EST (GMT-5) on February 24th. Timezone Conversion
Games will be hosted in the General lobby and be prefixed with [EAWH] with the password of "discodarth". Be sure to check out the Party Thread for more information.
I hope all of you can make it. This is an awesome opportunity to get to know people from the community and to just have fun. I know I'll be there!
- Upcoming Clan Features and Database
- Posted on 2/20/2006 at 7:34 AM by Doitzel
- We'll soon be setting up a clan database here at Empire at War Heaven for all clans affiliated with EaW. If you want any specific information related to your clan put into our database for possible members to see, post them in this thread!
Further to this, I'll be doing a clan feature every two weeks. If your clan gets chosen I'll visit your forums and interact with your community for a week, then you'll get a place on our front page! Any clans interested should also post their information in this thread. Visit the thread for more details or if you have any questions. You must post to be in the drawing for the clan features!
- Total Video Games Reviews Empire at War
- Posted on 2/19/2006 at 10:23 PM by AoErat
- Today's Empire at War review is from Total Video Games. They've written a thorough piece spanning 4 pages. Their Final Word reads as such:
There's no denying that there are a number of features implemented in Empire at War that separate the game from any other RTS title, and the excellent interconnection between strategy and tactics creates an enthralling experience; it's just a shame that certain areas, cannot match the enjoyment provided by strategically taking over the galaxy in the galactic sections.
Ultimately however what Empire at War does to great success (unlike every other attempt) is replicate the Star Wars galaxy, so that fans of the iconic series will feel like they really are at the heart of history defining moments of the story. The Force is strong within this one
- New RPG in Our Star Wars Universe Forum
- Posted on 2/19/2006 at 3:37 PM by Echuu
- Community member, Friend of Old, has started a new RPG in our Star Wars Universe Forum called Clash of the Titans. Hopefully, this and future RPGs will draw some new life into the forum, especially our new Empire at War players! It would be great to have an active SWU community like we had long ago. Don't hesitate to participate and have some fun interacting with the other members. Be sure to check it out here.
- IC-Games reviews Empire at War: 90%
- Posted on 2/19/2006 at 1:25 AM by AoErat
- Another Empire at War review rolls in, this time from IC-Games. Check out the full feature here. This is some of what they have to say:
Star Wars: Empire at War is a colossal game from the geniuses that brought us all Command and Conquer. This one is a no brainer really, if you like the idea of directing your own version of ‘A New Hope’ this one is for you.
- New Patch for Empire at War: 1.02
- Posted on 2/17/2006 at 7:37 PM by AoErat
- Just out is the new 1.02 patch for Empire at War. It fixesthe server disconnection error when attempting to play multiplayer, and many other issues. Here are the general items fixed:
* Corrected an issue with server disconnection
* Corrected an issue that could prevent progress past
mission 4 in the Rebel Campaign.
* Added AI improvements for Land Control games.
* Corrected an issue to count troop transports towards
unit cap in space tactical battles.
* Improved AI to move units within firing range when using
Tractor Beam/Proton beam weapons.
* Corrected an issue where proton torpedoes would ignore
hardpoints when applying damage.
* Corrected an issue in tutorial mission 5 that caused hint
Voice Overs to stop repeating if the reinforcements
objective has not been completed.
* Corrected multiple text and voice issues in Japanese,
French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Polish versions
of the game.
* Corrected an issue that prevented two Force-sensitive
heroes from targeting the same building.
* Corrected an issue that caused ground troops to be
destroyed in space tactical battles when using
* Corrected an issue that prevented enemy units from
displaying their team color in the mini-map.
* Corrected an issue with the magnapulse cannon that
required double-clicking in order to target enemies.
* Corrected a collision issue with Land Skirmish map
"Clash on Tatooine" that allowed units to fire through
* Disabled Save/Load functionality when in tutorial
* Corrected an issue that allowed AI to use Luke
Skywalker's special ability without waiting for the
* Corrected multiple issues with the cinematic camera.
* Corrected an issue that allowed the Interdictor Cruiser's
Gravity Well to remain active after it was destroyed.
* Corrected an issue that prevented multiple units from
using the Barrage ability on the same target.
* Corrected an issue that allowed the Death Star to fire
after a tactical battle completed.
It also resolves issues regarding performance, graphics, multiplayer, and balance. You will be prompted to download the patch when you enter the game, or you can download it here (from LucasArts).
- New Screenshots added
- Posted on 2/17/2006 at 12:24 AM by Crazed Ewok
- Even though most of the staff are busy playing the game from dawn till...well, next dawn, we have managed to get some more screenshots up, and more will be following soon. Be sure to give them a look, there are some good ones!
- GameDaily Reviews Empire at War: 4.5/5
- Posted on 2/17/2006 at 12:20 AM by AoErat
- One more for today: GameDaily's extensive review of Empire at War. Their four page writeup details many of the game's features and mentions all the high points. Read it at GameDaily. Here's their conclusion:
What's the bottom line on Empire at War? Buy it. If you are a Star Wars fan, or are even intrigued by the universe, this game is for you. If you're an RTS fan, you will play this game for dozens of hours. Even if you're not normally a fan of either Star Wars or strategy titles, you might like Empire. It handles each of these elements very differently from most games, so there might be something you find in Empire that wasn't in your previous experiences. This is one of the best RTS games in recent history.
- GameSpot Review of Empire at War: 8.7/10
- Posted on 2/16/2006 at 9:38 PM by AoErat
- Rated "Great" by GameSpot! Check out their brand new two-page review right here.
Here's some of what they have to say:
As a strategy game, Empire at War delivers a true Star Wars experience. If you're into AT-ATs stomping around battlefields, Darth Vader knocking over 20 soldiers with Force push, or space battles thick with dozens of fighters swarming in between gargantuan capital ships, Empire at War will deliver all that in a fun, compelling package. You can't really lose in any game in which you can blow up a planet with the Death Star, can you? Combined with a presentation that is as epic as the films that inspired the game and a slick, dual-layered strategy design, Empire at War is easily recommendable to any strategy fan, especially those who are fond of George Lucas' space classic.
- UGO Reviews Empire at War
- Posted on 2/16/2006 at 7:53 PM by AoErat
- Next in the ever-growing lineup of Empire at War reviews is UGO.com's entry. They rated the game with a B+ and certainly seemed to enjoy it.
To sum it all up, Star Wars: Empire at War is a decent RTS. It isn't the second coming of StarCraft, but it is the first good Star Wars RTS ever. It's a must-have for fans of the saga, mainly for all the references and characters that pop up throughout. If you have a powerful gaming computer, it's worth checking out for the visuals, too. If the game was a girl, I'd want to kiss her.
- 1up.com Reviews Empire at War
- Posted on 2/16/2006 at 5:41 PM by AoErat
- Yet another Empire at War review surfaces, this time from 1up.com, the same good folks who brought us the original previews of this game. They rate it a solid 8/10. .
... the Force is strong with this one. It's worth it for fans of Star Wars to see their dreams unfurl in pyrotechnic, high-tech 3D glory (careful, because this has some slowdown even on a high-end machine), and it's also worth it for RTS fans to see some of the most experienced and respected designers in the genre go to work on a truly innovative title with the backing of a major publisher. As the series gains clout, I'm sure we'll see more depth added to its expansions and sequels -- everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen...
- Strategy Guide Available
- Posted on 2/16/2006 at 5:34 PM by AoErat
- LucasArts has made available for purchase the official Empire at War strategy guide. You can find it for sale at LucasArtsStore.com.
The Star Wars: Empire at War PRIMA Official Game Guide provides players with sound tactics and strategies for the real-time-strategy (RTS) battles they will face. The guide has full and complete information on each unit and structure, maps of every battlefield, tactics for the entire single player game, and strategies for multiplayer domination.
Thanks to the sharp eyes of Blood Phoenix for this news.
- EmpireAtWar.net Review: 9.1/10
- Posted on 2/16/2006 at 5:31 PM by AoErat
- One more review hits the 'net, this time from the EmpireAtWar.net fansite. Check it out. Here's some of what they have to say:
Empire at War never set out to be Rebellion and in all fairness, its not. It just hasnt got that level of strategy. However, what is does do, is bring Star Wars gaming to the masses (and I dont just mean the low specs needed to play) and I've come away feeling that Star Wars fans and RTS will get months of fun out of this and for those entering the RTS genre for the first time will be extremely happy with their purchase.
- Yahoo Games Reviews Empire at War
- Posted on 2/16/2006 at 11:14 AM by AoErat
- Empire at War's second official review has hit the internet. They rate the game 4/5 stars. Check it out over at Yahoo Games. Their conclusion reads:
While the ground stages don't quite match the rest of the game's quality, there's still something superbly delightful about marching a group of AT-ATs into battle, or commanding a fleet of star destroyers, or chopping up stormtroopers with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Empire at War captures these emotions perfectly, and backs them up with a robust large-scale strategic game and no end of single and multiplayer content. What more could you ask from a Star Wars game?
- Empire at War Patch 1.01
- Posted on 2/16/2006 at 12:57 AM by AoErat
- If you've just purchased the game, be sure to update the version 1.01. It fixes a few issues that made it into the retail version. Grab the update now so your full gameplay experience will be at its best. Get the patch by selecting the multuplayer option in the game, or via direct download at Yahoo.
The patch fixes some general issues (listed below), as well as perfomance, graphics, multiplayer, and balance issues.
• Corrected an issue that could prevent progress past mission 4 in the Rebel Campaign.
• Added AI improvements for Land Control games.
• Corrected an issue to count troop transports towards unit cap in space tactical battles.
• Improved AI to move units within firing range when using Tractor Beam/Proton beam weapons.
• Corrected an issue where proton torpedoes would ignore hardpoints when applying damage.
• Corrected an issue in tutorial mission 5 that caused hint Voice Overs to stop repeating if the reinforcements objective has not been completed.
• Corrected multiple text and voice issues in Japanese, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Polish versions of the game.
• Corrected an issue that prevented two Force-sensitive heroes from targeting the same building.
• Corrected an issue that caused ground troops to be destroyed in space tactical battles when using Auto-Resolve.
• Corrected an issue that prevented enemy units from displaying their team color in the mini-map.
• Corrected an issue with the magnapulse cannon that required double-clicking in order to target enemies.
• Corrected a collision issue with Land Skirmish map "Clash on Tatooine" that allowed units to fire through the terrain.
• Disabled Save/Load functionality when in tutorial missions.
• Corrected an issue that allowed AI to use Luke Skywalker's special ability without waiting for the recharge timer.
• Corrected multiple issues with the cinematic camera.
• Corrected an issue that allowed the Interdictor Cruiser's Gravity Well to remain active after it was destroyed.
• Corrected an issue that prevented multiple units from using the Barrage ability on the same target.
• Corrected an issue that allowed the Death Star to fire after a tactical battle completed.
- Empire at War Hits the Shelves!
- Posted on 2/16/2006 at 12:50 AM by AoErat
- It's release day! Empire at War can be found on shelves around the United States (either today or in a few days elsewhere in the world). Be sure to pick it up!
- First Review from IGN
- Posted on 2/16/2006 at 12:38 AM by AoErat
- While perhaps a bit early for a comprehensive writeup, IGN has posted the first official Empire at War review, rating the game 7.6. Here's an excerpt from the conclusion:
Star Wars: Empire at War definitely scores big in terms of style. Gamers who are looking for an authentic Star Wars experience will not be disappointed with this one. It evokes all the charm and excitement of the childhood action figure wars that have been fought all across the nation over the last thirty years. When you add in the great sense of scale and the comprehensive roster of units available, Empire at War is like the ultimate digital toy box, at least for the original trilogy.
There is both a four-page text review and an accomapanying video review.
- Empire at War in Stores Tomorrow (USA)
- Posted on 2/15/2006 at 12:54 PM by AoErat
- Empire at War will be availabe in stores tomorrow, February 16th. Here at EAW Heaven we'll also be adding some new features, as well as opening the download section.
- Designer Diary #5
- Posted on 2/13/2006 at 9:58 PM by Doitzel
- Gamespot has posted the latest in their series of Designer Diaries features, this time about the history of Empire at War. It's about two pages long and a really interesting read. Here's an excerpt:
"A high bar was set for this game from the beginning: Create an all-new Star Wars real-time strategy experience for the PC with a brand-new cutting-edge game engine. Empire at War had to feature both amazing tactical real-time space and planetary surface battles, which then needed to be elegantly integrated with a strategic galactic map that represented the Star Wars planetary systems from the movies and lore. It all had to be created from scratch, and it had to be done in roughly two years. There was going to be a ton of work to do. In October 2003, we made the jump to light speed and development was under way."
Check out the full feature here! Also, thanks to Vuredel for pointing it out on our forums.
- Empire at War: Mod Help Central
- Posted on 2/11/2006 at 12:58 PM by Echuu
- Blood Phoenix from our forums has compiled a list of useful links containing tutorials and various tools for all the modders out there. Anybody who has another resource to add to it is welcome to post it, and Phoenix will update the thread as needed. He also mentioned that he will be adding an FAQ in the near future.
Check it Out!
- Official Empire at War Website Updated
- Posted on 2/10/2006 at 9:16 PM by AoErat
- Continuing the recent series of in-depth looks at the creatures, units, and locations of Empire at War, the official LucasArts site has again updated with 16 new game elements. Check out information on AT-ATs, the Death Star, and more.
Six more days until Empire at War is available!
- EaW - Mod Manager ALPHA 2.0
- Posted on 2/8/2006 at 9:34 AM by Echuu
- lordbodin99 has posted a link to a new Modding Manager created by Quickshot14, a member of the Petroglyph forums. According to his description, this will make the lives of demo modders a bit easier, and will be releasing a version for the full game soon after its release. He did warn us however, that since it's still in its ALPHA stage, bugs would not be surprising.
"First and foremost it's a manager and I want to make it as originzable for the user as possible, this will also help the modder out in the long run. Basicly there will be a catagorey/sub-catagorey system for example 3 catagories may be Total Conversions, Major Mods, Minor Mods. These are basicly folders ie something like TC_CAT, MM_CAT, and MinorM_CAT as a rouge example. Whats great about this system is the user can move the mods around to diffrent catagories and even create sub catagories ie having a Star Wars Type sub-catagory under Total Conversions."
Check it out here!
- Empire at War Video Podcast
- Posted on 2/7/2006 at 7:03 PM by Echuu
- PCG_Norman from PC Gamer has posted a link to their new video podcast covering the game. They took a tour of LucasArts in San Francisco and filmed what they saw. The video includes new gameplay footage and notes from the developers. Check it out!
- First clan opens at EaWH!
- Posted on 2/6/2006 at 1:52 PM by Crazed Ewok
- That's right, even though the game hasn't yet been released, the ambitious adthrawn has posted a recruitment thread for the first official clan on Empire at War Heaven. The name of the clan is The Imperial Security Squadron. They'll obviously focus on excelling as the Empire, and their thread may be found here.
Good luck guys!
- XFire Empire At War Dev Chat
- Posted on 2/5/2006 at 9:21 PM by Mace
- It appears that the guys over at XFire had a little chat with Empire At War's developers on Thursday which revealed just a little bit more about our favorite upcoming game, including confirmation of a multiplayer ladder! Check out the transcript here!
TheForce.Net also interviewed Petroglyph last week. Be sure to check it out.
- Empire At War Gone Gold!
- Posted on 2/4/2006 at 4:05 PM by Mace
- This news might be a couple of days old for some, but LucasArts has posted on Empire At War's website that the game has gone gold! This is certainly good news for those of us who have been waiting months for this game. Remember, the game comes out on the 16th! There's still plenty of time to pre-order!
- Welcome to Empire at War Heaven!
- Posted on 2/3/2006 at 1:06 AM by AoErat
- At long last, Empire at War Heaven has opened! Here you can find comprehensive information about the game, as well as engage in discussion on our forums. We'll be bringing you continual Empire at War coverage up and through the release date of February 16th. In the meantime, you may want to check out the single-player demo. If you have general questions about this game, head over to the F.A.Q.
Thanks for stopping by - we hope you'll enjoy your visit. Don't hesitate to leave us feedback in the forums or via email!